Train, Train, and More Training
Not much to report today.... We start every morning out pretty much the same way...we run. Our runs average anywhere from 3-5 miles a day (we have to do 4 miles in 36 minutes in order to meet the Screaming Eagles standard), we then finish up our PT; and then we are released to do hygiene and return by 0930 work call. This can be difficult if you do not live on base. Essentially, I feel that the army is trainning me already for living out of a type, small area....my car. Oh, there is hope for a break from running... there is the road march! So far, we have done a 12 mile march. Now on these road marches you are fully loaded and with weapon. The standard for the Screaming Eagles is 12 miles in 3 hours or less. Then you get to loof forward to a 15 mile march, followed by the 18 mile, and last but not least the 25 mile road march. Now don't you know my body is screaming......
At 35, I must confess that it is killing my bones and joints, and there are days I want to cry and ask myself, "what was I thinking". But I know we are getting in shape to endure the elements, stress, and demands of our deployment to Iraq that is coming up. But, what is funny is, I al almost looking forward to Iraq to get a break from the running and training..... isn't that some irony. Right now, our days are 12-14 hours long; and I am tired, stressed, and emotionally drained and mentally wore out by the time I get home to my husband and kids. Funny thing is, when you divide my paycheck by the hours I put in each day; I am paid less than minimum wage. And becasue I am on the waiting list, the BAH and beneifts are not enought to cover the rent, utilities and etc. to living off post.
*** I wonder how many people really know how much soldeirs do for what they get paid. So to get the record straight, you can't do this job unless you believe in what you are doing. (or your contract is not coming up...haha)
We spend a lot of time trying to inventory our gear, medical supplies, and vehicles. Iraq is not the place to discover that we left something behind, overlooked something, or had problems with our vehicles because we didn't inspect them and get them ready for the deployment. I can't say that it is the most exciting time for me but I know that it is important. Besides, I am one of those anal type personalities (you know type A) where everything has to be just right, so it works for me. Trust me, being type A sucks sometimes... Anyway, I do not want to be haunted by the thought of a wounded soldier, lying there injured or in pain, because I didn't take the time to make sure everything was inventoried, stocked and ready to go.
Later, I will tell everyone the fun of air assault school expectations and pre-training... (where is my ibuprofen when I need it :)
4 Comments:
REPUBLISHED
Ironman said....
You are amazing....101st at 35 yrs old...impressive!
Thu Mar 20, 09:08:57 AM EST
REPUBLISHED
I love your sense of humor. I will visit often and follow your posts often. I especially look forward to reading them when your are in Iraq.
Wed Mar 23, 06:08:57 AM EST
REPUBLISHED
MilitaryMan said....
I was infantry and support anyone who is Airborne. In my day there were no women in the Airborne. I look forward to your posts and will check back often. Want to see how a woman does in the Airborne
Wed Mar 23, 07:08:57 AM EST
hey where does it say something bout me!!!! im the most important person ever
Post a Comment
<< Home