Monday, March 21, 2005

Why A Blog?

Someone recently asked me...Why a Blog?
There were many soldier bloggers before me, most already on duty in Iraq, with dramatic stories of their life and trials there. The things they have seen and done are incredible. But recently after someone heard my story, they said you should write a book or something. I personally don't find my story that entertaining, besides where would I have the time. I decided to join the fad and keep a blog so that my family and friends could keep up-to-date with me and maybe meet some people along the way. I have already learned that I need to be careful not to cross the Army with my blog (I have already had to change things and update it... but it is a learning experience). Well... here goes how I got here

My Army StoryI was a Director of Operations for a Pharmaceutical company when 9-11 happened. I made pretty good money (obviously), but I really questioned what I had done for my country in keeping it and my children safe. My husband had served in the Air Force a decade ago, and we always encouraged our two teenage sons that they needed to serve in the military for atleast one enlistment. But, although my husband had served, I felt I could not justify my opinions since I had not served when I was younger. So.... One day I sat down with my husband, told him my feelings, and that I wanted to join the Army at 33 years old. And so the journey began. I will admit, I thought I was in shape. You know, I would run once a month just to say I exercised. I was athletic while growing up. I played collegiate basketball and any sport there was, but I do not think anything could have prepared me for what I was about to embark on. The first few weeks of Basic Training about killed me. Not just the physical part, but I was 33, and had already adjusted to life. I was not mentally prepared as I thought I was. I had to realize that I was going to be spending my next nine weeks in a large open barrack with 70 other girls. Yes, at this point I knew I was in trouble.... Not only was I giving up my queen size bed, my private time in the bath, but most importantly ..... My Privacy!!! Oooohhhh my God... let us not forget the lack of sleep. Oh, do not get me wrong, they had bedcheck at 1930. So you are thinking, 'my goodness, that is plenty of time to sleep'. Well, you are half right. For someone the age of 33 and 'trying' to get back in shape; trust me, that is not enough sleep. My bones and joints hurt every night. My muscles were in failure from the start. It took every inch of my being to roll out of bed each morning. (For those of you saying, 'no way would I do this', do not worry it is only bad for the first few weeks) Even though, the girls almost drove me crazy, they did have good hearts. I was the only one in my age group, and I was older than most of the drill sergeants. By the first week, everyone called me 'Grandma'. (Yes, my hair was turning gray again.... so that did not help... :)Anyway, I will continue to tell you how this journey goes each entry. I will talk about basic in general, then AIT training and my decision to go active from reserves. I hope everyone enjoys this blog both for the humor seen through my eyes and the readers, and for the seriousness and dedication it takes to be a part of the Army family. I know that my family and I are happy, and I hope that others are too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home