Saturday, March 26, 2005

With age comes patience

During basic when you sit down to eat you have between 5 and 10 minutes to eat and dispose of you tray and get out. Now, you have not lived untill you have had a pancake with bacon and oatmeal all crammed together and stuffed into your mouth for breakfast. Lets not forget the fun of dinner. There's a lot of combinations to pile together. Now, I can't say the food was bad, it went down to quick to taste it. I do know that as the weeks went on, you learned real quick how to put things together and eat fast in order to consume the most in the least amount of time. I don't know about war, but I do know we would win an eating contest.... One night towards the end of Basic, we had the opportunity to have cake. Since I was the Platoon Sgt, I was always last to eat; therefore, last to have the chance for any dessert. Well, tonight I managed to get one very small piece (a bite) of cake with possibly a spoon full of icing. May have been small but I was excited to get anything. I sat down across from a good friend who was eating already. When she saw my cake she reached across and took some of the icing off my plate. I, of course, looked at her and whispered 'quit that, (blip,blip). You are going to get us into trouble'. Keep in mind this was in humor, but still it was my very small piece of cake.... Everyone around us was trying not to laugh for fear of getting in trouble, but they were having difficulty themselves. She reched across again and took the last piece of the cake I had. Man, at this point I wanted to kill her. She is smiling, I am smiling only to say, "I am going to get you back." She smiled again and cotinued to stuff her mouth with her food, everyone around us was giggling. Now, you think, a piece of cake is not much, but to us it was like finding lost treasure. You cherished any you got. Oh, there is something, I forgot to mention. When you get your tray, you were only allowed one drink glass with it. Of course, as fate had it, I had already finished mine. So, I sat there, patiently watching her stuff her mouth and smile at me for her victory over my cake. (A great thing that comes with age is patience....) Just as she was about to grab her full glass of juice to wash down my dry cake and her cheeks for of food, I gracefully and with swiffness grab it. Smiled at her with a gleam in my eyes, and then proceeded to drink every drop without coming up for air. The look on her face was, as the VISA commercial would state "priceless". And atleast that night, a few of the girls could go to sleep with a smile on their face from finding some sense of humor in that day.
Hope you enjoyed...I still, to this day, cherish that memory.

7 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


FVK said...

"Shhhh...Be very, very quite. We're hunting I-whackies".

I'm sorry, after reading your previous post, I couldn't resist changing my picture and adding a "Fuddisum" (slightly modified that is).

Stay safe.

Sat Mar 26, 12:25:56 AM EST

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


eck said...

Your post cracked me up. My fiance eats so unbelievably fast it's always been tough to keep up with him. He says to blame basic training for getting him into the habit of basically inhaling his food.

Love that you took her juice! :-) Excellent revenge. I'm glad I found your blog, and will definitely be back again to read more. God bless you for what you're doing for our country.

http://militarybride.blogspot.com

Sat Mar 26, 12:26:51 PM EST

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


Some Soldier's Mom said...

just remember that 33 is not old if you are a tree (or a woman!) Did you know that more than 1/2 the women who drove west on the wagon trains were over the age of 50! and they built this country.

as the mother of 3 boys (1 in the Box, one in the navy, 1 navy vet) , I'd be interested in what your boys think of all this...

Very proud of what you do and the challenge you've undertaken. Looking forward to reading more...

Sat Mar 26, 07:55:53 PM EST

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


Dan said...

I look forward to following your posts daily. To me reading your posts now will help me to know you when you deploy to Iraq and that will make your posts from Iraq more personal and meaningful,

Stay Safe

Sun Mar 27, 06:14:59 PM EST

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


Omar said...

Welcome to the blogsphere,wish you all the best

Mon Mar 28, 11:15:47 AM EST

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


Gramma Sandi said...

For what it is worth - it will always be those little things that remain most prominent in your memory. Try your best to even them out - the good ones with the bad. In the future you will be able to detect your outlook on overall life from those memories. Lets hope that your good ones out weigh the bad - more ups than downs - more grins than frowns. Find the humor in life and you will sleep better each night and will also be surrounded with friends.

Mon Mar 28, 05:12:37 PM EST

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger My Husband's Pampered Princess said...

REPUBLISHED


Mr Bob said...

At Navy boot, we had the same time limit to eat and of course no talking. I never thought I would have to use hand signals to have someone pass the salt.

Fri Apr 01, 03:22:04 PM EST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home