Thursday, April 14, 2005

God..I Love The Sound Of Cadence In The Morning

I love cadence...you know the "tunes" the squad or platton leader sings while you are running or marching. Don't get me wrong...I can think of several other things I would rather be doing than marching or running, but to be able to sing cadence does pass the time better than silence. Actually, when I don't sing cadence then I am dreadfully counting every foot step I take. I also think of ways to strangle the command that comes up with these 'standards' set for the day... :) What are they thinking.... do they just enjoy my suffering? Oh, well, back to the cadence topic.
Cadences just stick with me. I will still be singing cadence in my head at 6pm driving home and my boys think they are funny. Over my time I have heard dozens of them, even tried to make up a couple of my own. I almost can't wait until I can lead a squad in formation so I can display my "talents" and recite some lovely tunes about the Army, Airborne, killing, death, and somebody's sister....oh, and don't forget my favorites: pain in my bones, ice cream depression, sweating to the oldies and how many miles before my heart attack........ ;)
What is even worse, I would probably listen to a top 10 cadence countdown on the radio...........and enjoy it. I could hear Delilah saying --- Our next dedication is going out to GreyEagle from Major Pain, 'mind over matter as we start the next mile'. Boy would I feel special.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 64 years old. Retired from AZ State Government, living in the hills of TN. I read with much interest your comments. There is an article on the AOL WELCOME page about GI's and the internet and I gleened your address from it.

I pray for all our military and I am so thankful for you and all the military for your efforts.

About the 'cadence'. Have you ever seen old movies about the south where the Afro Americans were working in the cotton fields and were singing with the same timing that they were working? Your cadence is relatively the same thing, isn't it? I never thought of it as a way for them to pass the time and to take their minds off the toil and sweat that they had to endure. I never thought of it as a way for the military to pass the time as they march.

It just goes to show that we are never to old to learn something if we just keep our eyes and minds open.

May God bless you and those who are walking and working along side you. May His hand of protection be upon you and also upon your family.

Pat Patterson
Sevierville, TN

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a retired service person. I also pray for our troops in harms way. GOD bless you all. Steve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home