Friday, April 01, 2005

Operation Toothpaste

As I promised:
I think everyone who has ever been out in the field will truly enjoy this story. We were out for a week doing some training. The large tents that could hold twenty plus soldiers were lined up ten on the front row, and ten on the back row. Males were front left, and females were back right. At night, we had fire watch. The tents were seperated down the middle section, front to back. Now, keep in mind that throughout your time together, you develope a lot of friends and everyone is constantly pulling the ultimate prank and joke. Well, this time, victory shall be ours. (females) Let me set the mood: night had fallen, lights were out; not a creature was stiring, not even a mouse(Well, fire guard was, but you get point :) 'Operation Toothpaste' was a go! I had developed a very close friendship with a girl there, she was my partner in crime (and my best friend for life). That night, me and agent Bong, decided it was time. Armed with our flip flops, flashlights and toothpaste; we set off on our mission. First, we had to bribe the guards; bribes can be cheap when everyone loves a laugh. Second, we had to jump the rope and swiftly make our way to the back row of tents. We tried to maintain strict noise and light discipline, but the giggles could not be stopped. We were going to low crawl, you know use that military training we learned; but, hey, we had just had showers and was clean. (Everybody knows how important a good showering can be.....) Anyway, we darted all the way down to the first tent, and then around it to the front row of tents. At that time, we were about to enter the target area.
At this point, both of us entered the tent. We had already did a recon mission earlier that day and knew which cot was going to be each of our targets. (Don't under-estimate the power of a female...) My target was in the middle of the tent, Agent Bongs target was at the front. As we low crawled up to their cots, unbeknowing to our targets; who were snoring nicely, I might add. We began to toothpaste everything in sight; boots, sandles, kevlar, etc. I was already beginning to smell victory, or maybe that was his boots, when all of a sudden there were two soldiers coming in the front. My heart started to race, I began to sweat, I thought I was going to have to use my combat defense moves in order to escape. Instead, me and bongs jumped to the end of the cots and slumed down so low, I swear I tasted the dirt on the concrete. Both of the soldiers came in and laid down without even noticing anyone in their presence. (Remind me not to put them on future guard duty...) We waited patiently for about all of five minutes then quickly, like gohpers out of their hole, we poped up, scanned the tent for a moment for detection and ran out of the back of the tent like two playful mice. We laughed so hard all the way back, that both of us almost fell down, several times. It was at that point, I knew that I was destined to be 101st. Maybe, this was pre-training for Iraq??
Agent Bongs and myself laughed so hard that night, that our sides hurt. (I believe we proved that night that females were fit for combat :). The next morning for formation, to see the guys faces and there reaction, was priceless to us. The girls had sweet victory.....!! For the next week or so, the story of the toothpaste raid amazed everyone and became legend. (This one will go down in history).
I am not sure if there will be toothpaste raids in Iraq, but I am sure that I will find ways to entertain myself. If anyone wants to give me a 'recon' report that is there now or from before, or any of their stories feel free to comment. I am always planning new missions, and taking suggestions. Maybe I will look at special forces at age 40. Do you think they are looking for a combat medic/nurse with a sense of humor and a bad knee ?..... :) ;)
Take care and I hope everyone is safe.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the toothpast act. Gotta keep the gals busy you know..

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember going to pajama parties when i was a kid and we would dip the others' hands in warm water and they would wet the bed. or putting shaving cream in their hand and tickling their noses. both were funny. it's nice to know that even with everything going on around you, you haven't lost your sense of humor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home