My week in Iraq....
My platoon and I went into the streets of Baghdad in a convoy situation. Things were quiet at first but after our second checkpoint we encountered some insurgences. We were able to engage and move on. During a later convoy, we were ambushed twice but was able to get out using our navigational skills. During one of our turns, we took casualties from a sniper, luckily we were able to treat them and evacuate them out using a 9-line. (A 9-line is a way to call for help and evacuate your casualties given exact cordinates and a LZ {landing zone} for the helicopter). One day, I pulled guard duty at our front gate and almost was killed by an insurgent during a vehicle search and detainment. I found the explosive quickly but not the clip that set it off. Unfortunately, this is alot like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. We also had some media personnel come into out area and take pictures and ask questions without the authorized military representative with them. They left before we could detain them for unauthorized entry. This incident, we found out later helped them plan an attack on us later in the week. It was a long week as you can see..... but even with everything that happened to us, we were able to get a 'go' on all of our tasks and skills.
If you didn't figure it out, I really wasn't in Iraq, but we were training as if we were there. Testing ourselves on our skills and how we would hve reacted in several situations. No matter what you learn, you are never prepared fully for when things really happen. I am sure that being in Iraq for the real deal will even be harder. I can only hope that I will think quickly, react swiftly and remain calm under such pressure that our soldiers are enduring right now.
I know that I find humor a lot in everything I do, but let me say that during my one task of vehicle search and detainment, when I found the explosive but not the clip first. That makes you think because instead of my blog, you may have been reading about a soldier killed during a search...... that would not have been my best work.
7 Comments:
Have been enjoying your place here. I was 101st back in '68 in what is now A Co 5-101 Avn Reg. "Phoenix". Back then it was C Co 158 AH Bn "Phoenix".
For the female perspective on Baghdad, take a look at this website maintained by a gal who is with the Louisiana 256th EIB. My son is with them also.
http://armychic2560.tripod.com/
There was a time that I would have qualified for the monicer "grey eagle" however as time passes, I find that I have become a "bald eagle"??
Thanks for your time and effort to maintain your site.
I stumbled upon your blog a week ago and I just wanted to say that I enjoy your blog. Nice work! Mine's a bit different in style, not as public, and as well put together.. but it's more of an outlet for me.
I wish you luck with everything you're going to encounter. I'll be in Afghanistan next year.. and hopefully still able to post. I will keep reading your blog.. so don't stop the good work.
Take care!
Phoenix
http://desertphoenix.blogspot.com/
Yes, it's a work in progress! Thanks for emailing me.. I really appreciate your compliments and concern. I am open to any and all suggestions..
I would love to be a link on your site as well... and if you don't mind, I'd like to link yours.
I am also interested in the free website help. That would be great. I was admiring your site and although I know a little about codes, I couldn't figure out how you made your site look so nice!
As far as the NCO goes, yes.. suggestions would be nice. I know generally, what I should do.. but when it comes to real world application, it's a little more difficult. We are in a unique situation here..
I'm looking into adding an email link on my website.. and I couldn't find yours.. lol... hence the comment post!
Thanks for everything.. you made my day!
Hey,
Yes, your a Soldier in the making.
Just pay attention and do your best. Make each day something you can say, "I did my very best".
Look for guidance from your NCO's but use your brain to sort it all out.
It will come to you, as hard work always rewards the one doing the work.
Looking forward to your growing up and being one of our American Soldiers, the "Best Soldiers in the World".
Continue the Mission
Papa Ray (an ol' grunt)
West Texas
USA
Please let us all know if you need anything. Keep your head down and chin up......
I just said a prayer for you and all the soliders. Trust in Jesus, read your Bibles daily and pray daily as well. (Especially John 3:16 and Mark 11:22-26)I'm hoping and praying this war will end soon.
God bless you,
EC
Your doing a great job, stay safe and know that there are many who support you from the side lines.
Post a Comment
<< Home