Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Eagle Has Landed

Hello everyone-Grey Eagle has officially landed in the box. I asked the pilots if they would detour and drop me off in Germany to stay – but as you can see- that did not happen. Although, we did do a layover in Germany – that was such a tease.

Anyway, right now I’m living in a big tent with all of my closes friends. (Yeah right!) For everyone out there, close your eyes, imagine yourself as a child, as home, sharing your room with your brother or sister. And to add some fun to this story – let’s make it your ‘younger’ sibling. Now, take that lovely image and multiply that sibling by 20 at least. Now you can imagine it here in our tent. Oh yeah, stand in your closet when you do this exercise for the full affect.

One soldier wrote: in order to prepare yourself for deployment, take your sleeping bag and put it on the cement in your garage. Then invite the whole neighborhood to come over with their sleeping bags and join you in your garage. Don’t forget to have them bring at least 2 bags of clothes also. At that point, you will get some idea of what we go through when we first get here. Yippee huh?

Well, for me, I have tried to find quite times in the weirdest places. Obviously, when you go for showers, you think that would be enjoyable. Well, unless you like 15 plus females in one small connex trailer bidding for 8 showers possible working showers – then ‘No’ it isn’t relaxing. The only way to get a relaxing shower is to pick very odd hours to go.

Nothing can describe the feeling you get when you go to the showers to find it empty. You’re thinking, ‘this is great, all alone to take a shower’. Pick up all of you special hygiene products like shampoo and soap. Walk to your favorite shower like a queen on the red carpet. Set you towel up. Set our supplies up in the shower. Step inside the shower with great anticipation. You reach for the water knob, turn it – and nothing comes out…….Oh, by the way, did I forget to mention that they turn the water off during most of the day to conserve water. Well, they forgot to tell me!!!

And that is how my day started……I bet you can guess the rest. 

Grey Eagle Out

17 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Fermina Daza said...

Bummer about the water. Stay safe!

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you, stay safe.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay safe, God Speed and never forget that you have the full support of your brother & sisters in arms as well as a greatful nation (or two) as for the
"15 plus females in one small connex trailer bidding for 8 showers possible working showers"

Sounds like fun to me :)

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that you are safe. Take care of yourself and get home soon so that you can take a nice hot relaxing shower!

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grey Eagle,
Thank you for your Service to our Country.Know our thoughts and prayers will be with all of you daily.
So sorry you didn't get that nice hot shower in private!
Take care and God speed to you.
Sincerely
Cathy
Massachusetts Soldiers Angel

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the notes, my daughter is over there with you. You stay safe and take care. At least I had cold water when I was in. Remember you we love and support you all, and some of us know how hard it is. My son will be there soon, but I consider all of you my family.

Love MSG (ret)

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grey Eagle -- I just found out about your Blog from a post on my close friend's Blog ( CAO's Blog ) and wish to tell you that, as a former U.S. MARINE who served our beloved country with two tours in Viet-Nam as a Forward Scout/Sniper ... millions of Americans are behind all of you 100% with your honorable efforts!

But, you did make me laugh about the showers -- OMG; that brought back a few memories for me!


OOHHRRAAHH!
Hold 'Em High
Eighth & I
Do Or Die
Semper Fi ... Carry On!

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck and Gid Bless You

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger chaoticsynapticactivity said...

Grey Eagle;

Soldier on! I know you are in the midst of your professional responsibilities, as well as fighting the electronic "insurgents."

I'm in your corner, like those above who have commented...

Keep the faith and take care of your troops....

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and all in Iraq. I was there the first time, and am sure it's no more fun now. But know that there are MANY who support and love you, and are grateful for your sacrifices for all of us. Keep your head down and your chin up!

Dave

 
At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, all of you, for finishing what we were not *allowed* to finish.

Deann Allen
CTM2, Desert Storm

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be safe. All of you come back safe.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger StealthBadger said...

A lot has happened since I was here last, to both of us, it seems.

I want to thank you, and the other people over there, but not specifically for what is going on in Iraq. I want to thank you for honoring the contract between the civilian government and the military that makes democracy possible. I want to thank you for stepping forward to give the only thing that you truly own, years of your life, to the service of that agreement between us: the Constitution. I also want to thank you for your sacrifice, despite the fact that the rest of the nation is sacrificing nothing at all.

I am one of those people you hear about standing in front of Walter Reed, watching the busses come in, seeing the many wounded, and trying to draw attention to how veterans, especially wounded ones, are being used and betrayed.

I'm not standing with the Free Republic side, which shouts support for a mission they don't even understand, and don't even comprehend the difference between "immediate withdrawal" and "withdrawal in a safe and orderly fashion" (if you're going to debate about something, at least know what the words mean, no matter what position you take).

I'm standing with the Code Pink side, and the Veterans For Peace, because I respect the voices of people who have been there, who have had family die over there, and who have served there, more than I respect someone whose sacrifice turns out to be screaming obscenities at people they disagree with and slapping a car-ribbon magnet on the SUV. We may or may not agree on what is right to do, that's democracy. But I'm inclined to give more credence to the person who's trying to help, rather than hurt.

I am doing the best I can to make sure the rest of the country either helps you, or gets you back safely, with some lasting success, in a fashion that won't scar the military for another twenty-five years. The mission is important - no matter how you look at it, the world will never be the same again because of the changes happening there right now. But as an American, preserving your force to defend the country from direct attack is far more important.

Thank you.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you have entered hell... now stay there.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Grey Eagle,

I think you have e-mailed my technology teacher, april chamberlain, I am in the group that has created the blog for our school to communicate with soldiers. We just created it at about 1:45(am for you pm for us.) I heard you were coming down for 3-5 weeks and I think our school would enjoy a short visit, but let me warn you that our school has about 1,000 kids so I wouldn't plan for a small crowd! We decided the website would be

paineandthesoldiers.blogspot.com

I apreciate you cooperating with us and replying to Mrs. Chamberlain's e-mails.

Thanks,
Erica L.

P.S. All of us who are a part of the project are in fifth grade and have blogs.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's ashame there really isnt a right time or place for opinions..But my word are you just plain beautiful..Yes youre a soldier but your also a woman who needs to know how fine you really are..Oh and 15 females in a small shower room, umm can you say YES PLEASE!!..lol..Keep your head down and your eyes open so you can bring your hinne home!! Did i mention what a great hinne it is?

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous casin enligne said...

just think about your familly and stay safe !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home