Just call me speedy gonzales
Today, I found out something about my old bones. They can actually move faster than I thought. Most every morning for PT, I would always get in the slow group. That group normally run anywhere from 9 to 10 minute miles. Now, keep in mind I have been normally running my two miles in around 17 to 17:20. So, to me I thought I was taking it easy, trying to make sure I do not hurt myself in the long run. Well, lately I have been hurting a lot more during the slow runs. My hips and knees seem to take a beating. Could not figure it out. Well, today I did.
As we are standing there getting into our ability groups, my favorite LT decided to pick a few of us to pull into her group. She is part of the 13 to 15 minute two mile runners, like I really belonged there. Of course, when she called 'wilks' I just knew she had lost her mind and was confused. I kindly reminded her that I run 17 and that my bones can not go that fast. She still said for us to come with them. I bowed my head down and sadly walked over to her group. My life was slowly passing before me as we marched out to the PT course. Here we go....double time.
We set off on a pretty fast pace but I was amazingly keeping up. My body was hurting a little, but as we kept going it seemed to relax for the first time since I started running. I was thinking, 'hey is this what it is like when someone likes to run, no real pain?' As we approached the two mile point to turn around, I looked at my watch and noted to everyone that we had just ran a 15:45 two mile pace. I am sure that no one was more surprised than me that I had just ran two miles at that pace. What was even more surprising is that I was not hurting and was ready to turn and continue running. These were just a few things going through my mind at this point: "What is wrong with me?", "Hey body what are you doing?", "Oh, my god, I just ran two miles without praying for a car to hit me", "Can someone please pinch me and wake me up, surely I am dreaming.....and if I am dreaming lets make sure I have all my clothes on"
As we turned at the two miles point, they decided to let us loose to run it back individually. So I took off. Or atleast my body did. At this point, I decided I had no control. Obviously, something inside of me felt like running. And running we did. I have never ran like that before. I ended up running the last two miles in 15 minutes flat. So, all together, we ran four miles in 30:45. And amazingly, I did not hurt at all during the last two miles. Oh, and for those wondering, I did pinch myself and made sure I had my clothes on. At that point, I knew I did not dream this. I had actually ran two miles in 15 minutes. That is a big "geriatric" HOOAH for everyone >>>>
I hope to keep this up. I have learned that there is an 18 mile track in Iraq. I am going to make it my goal to run that track before I come home. I will come up with a cool name for it, and let everyone know when I master it. It will be a run dedicated to everyone back home.
Till next time - stay safe
Greyeagle out.
6 Comments:
Ya know what? I never did get the hang of that running thing. Always kept up when we had our runs every morning at the company but never did I look forward to it. I did somewhat get to enjoy it when I was an instructor at Ft. Sam but the da*# heat nearly got me once or twice and cooled my enthusiasm. Watch that heat over there during your training for "the gold" ;).
Running too slow can be harder on the body than a correct pace. Seems you are finding the pace that works for you. Use this a starting point to experiment with different speeds to find what works best for you. Of course additional running will normally help overall as well.
DAve
I agree, I'm a slow-poke on the run too. But the ground pounding slow, consistant pace just gives me shin splints.
Great job!
What an inspiration you are!!!
Thanks :)
Wow! I had lost your site address and just found my way back...and what a surprise! You're amazing, Greyeagle!!!
I knew you could do it, just needed a little push.
Post a Comment
<< Home