JROTC may be the answer to my prayers..
This past week was my son's first days of high school. I was so proud of him. When I got home, late even as usual, he began to tell me of his day. First thing out of his mouth was every detail of the JROTC program. If I did not know any better, I would say he video taped it and played it back for me. He was so proud of this. I could see in his eyes the excitement that this program was going to give him. As all parents, after two hours of explaining it to me (each topic repeated more than once) I had to ask for a break. (You know, go for popcorn and a drink then a restroom break) Of course, when I returned, he felt the need to summarize the previous discussion for me, then return to the subject once more. If it wasn't for the fact that my son was showing me more enthusiasm than I have ever seen in him, I probably would have had to hide in the bathroom - always a safe haven for parents. Anyway, I can not wait to see how this program is going to turn my son into a man.
Oh, for those who have been following our packing for deployment, we are complete. Finally have everything packed up and locked down to travel. If you think females pack a lot when we travel, you haven't seen anything till you endure the packing for deployment. Literally, if it wasn't nailed down, we packed it. And actually, we did take a sink.... We probably won't see any of the equipment for several weeks after we get there. But once we do...oh boy, what fun we will have unpacking.
For now we are going to classes on IED's, combat manuevers, Arabic language and anything else they can think of. We will also be doing roll on and roll off ranges for our weapons. All of this is to get ready for the final day.
I am wanting to be able to tell and show each step of the way once we load up and get on the plane. I am hoping this will help the spouses and families understand and know what goes on to their soldiers each step of the way. I want to be able to tell and show the positive side as well as the possible bad side of this war. I think everyone that we have to leave behind deserves to be able to feel more comfortable about what is happening with us. I will also try to help anyone I can in order to get information or pictures to their loved ones; soldiers and spouses. So feel free to send email and let me know if I can locate anyone.
Till later - Grey Eagle - out.
2 Comments:
Grey Eagle,
I'm so glad you were able to experience at least a bit of your son's first days in High School. It seems my daughters were doing the same thing only days ago..now they are off to their first year of college! Yes, they are twins.
But this isn't about us...
All three of us 'girls' want to thank you for doing the job you do, no matter where in the world you are! We shall keep you, your family and fellow warriors in our daily prayers. I am so very glad to have found your blog and look forward to future entries!
God Bless
I missed the firestorm? Booohooo!! Damn.. and I've been feeling fiesty lately.
Anyway.. I am short on time.. as always seems to be the case these days but I wanted to tell you.. JROTC was amazing for me. IT was absolutely my lifeline for the confidence I lacked in high school.. It gave me discipline, esprit de corps, leadership skills, teamwork, assertiveness, courage, pride and a lot of lessons on attention to detail! These are the qualities they'll be teaching him first thing.. DELTA CAP (the acronym is an easy way to remember them all!)
I hope he has a good program at his school.. and I hope he takes the initiative and goes on to win Academy appointments and Full blown scholarships to any school in the country.. All this and more.. is what it provided me.
Private to Battalion Commander in three years.. as well as top marksman in the Pacific Rim.. and Cadet of the Year all three years!
Tell him to reach for the stars.. and not to EVER TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!
I wish him the best.. and you as well. Tell 'you know who' I said HI STRANGER!
And.. next time you blog about crazy people.. let me know.
I stopped by her site and left a couple of posts.. but I decided you can't change people like that. You really should just be able to shoot them.. but.. oh well.
Off we go to defend their right to talk all that crap.. but I'll tell you what.. she's damn lucky she won't be meeting me.. and if I ever run into her husband.. I have a few words for him as well.
Kisses to you and yours..
Army Girl
Phoenix Out
Post a Comment
<< Home